Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Braid-Embellished Tee

I finished the quick top I alluded to yesterday, and I wore it today.  I'm not sure if it's the color or the style, but I received quite a few compliments!  I think it's a keeper.  The inspiration was a top I saw at Target but can't find online.
Oh, and I got my hair cut a couple of weeks ago.  :-)
 I really like this bright, royal blue color.  The fabric is a linen/cotton knit from fabric.com I purchased at least a year ago.  I just had to wait for inspiration to strike.
 Here you can see I continued the neck treatment around the back.  Simple to do when you're making your own.

Here is a closeup of the neckline treatment.  I just slapped it on a neckline of my usual OOP Butterick 3344 tee shirt, after machine-stitching a quick rolled hem to finish the raw edge.  The neckline consists of two steps:  1 - a strip of fabric about 1.5 inches wide that I pleated and pinned on and then machine stitched in the middle all the way around, and 2 - a braided piece of trim which I hand-stitched on top of the pleated strip.  The hand stitching took about an hour, but I was watching TV and didn't really mind.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute! Love the color and your special neckline. (Nice necklace, too!) I've been making a lot of simple knit tops lately, and this is a great idea of how to jazz up a simple top.

Amanda S. said...

Great idea, and BEAUTIFUL color on you!

Alexandra said...

Very pretty! Great color and I love the braid.

Dharma said...

I like the color and the unique neck finish. Thanks for sharing how you finished the neck edge.
The haircut looks fab!

Audrey said...

Cool trim idea, and that color blue does look great on you.